Get Your YouTube Videos Seen With These 3 Search Optimization Tips
Below are a few tips for optimizing your YouTube videos:
A thumbnail is worth a 1000 clicks
When users are scrolling through the video search results, the thumbnail is going to be the first thing that most users see - that's what's going to catch the viewers eye. Since that is the case and as the saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words you should use a custom video thumbnail rather than the auto-generated thumbnail. According to the YouTube Creator Academy, "90% of the best-performing videos on YouTube have custom thumbnails. Attract more viewers and increase watch time by creating visually interesting, click-compelling thumbnails of your own."
Ways you can improve your video thumbnails:
- Use a close-up of a face that is making eye contact with the user
- Use bright and eye catching backgrounds
- Make sure there is enough contrast between foreground objects and the background
- Use text sparingly, but as needed for emphasis
- Be consistent so that you develop a unique style users can recognize
A video by any other title would get as many views or maybe not
Besides the thumbnail, when users are scanning the search results one of the first things their eyes will see is the title.
Ways you can improve your video titles:
- You want your title to be clear, concise and related to the content of your video.
- You should think about how users are searching for your video and use those search keywords in the video title.*
- Avoid clickbait. Users will pick up on that over time and stop clicking on your videos.
* "Videos that contain an exact match keyword in their video title appear to have a slight edge over videos that don’t. This means that including a keyword in your title may improve your rankings by a slim margin."
To comment or not to comment, that is the question
"Comments appear to be an influential ranking factor. We found that a video’s comment count strongly correlates with higher rankings." YouTube values user engagement, and so it makes sense that videos that encourage users to comment rank higher.
Ways you can improve user engagement:
- During the video, usually at the end, ask the users to comment on your video
- Along with comments the number of likes your videos get helps boost your rankings. Ask them to like your video too.
- And don't forget to ask them to share the video on other social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
You will be surprised by how many users will take action if you just ask nicely.
Tags:youtube seo search